Thank you for visiting our website, this site acts as an archive – Creative Practices closed its doors in July of 2016
This program provides a stable, ongoing, supportive forum for creating and presenting experimental performance art. We take our cue from Toronto’s Fado Performance Art Centre, which defines performance in relation to the root elements of the medium – time, space, the performer’s body and the relationship between performer and audience.
October 5, 2015 7-9pm: Friendaversary – A performance piece by local art collective Luminescent Spectral Alliance (Mallory Anne Augustyn and Nestor M. Avalos, friends 11 years), that deconstructs a decade of friendship via the construction and destruction of two life sized effigies based on the artists’ own likeness. What is in a ritual? We have ritual celebrations for all sorts of relationships. Mothers’ Day, Fathers’ Day, Wedding Anniversaries, even Fur Babies are getting their day on the internet. But what about our FRIENDS? The installation will consist of a gallery space dedicated to art pieces submitted by community members (artists and non-artists alike) created either with their friends or for their friends, followed by the audiences ceremonial destruction of effigies that the artist have made of each other.
- March 13, 2015 – Sara French – Corpus Callosum
This performance aims to ridicule our compliance to binaries. The audience is invited to contemplate culture conformities of handedness.
Since 2010 French has been developing her nondominant hand through writing, drawing and performance. Researchers working on brain laterality and cognitive science still debate nature versus nurture with regard to handedness; this is because only a quarter of the variation in handedness can be explained by genetics.
- A Left Handed Turn around the World: Chasing the Meaning and Mystery of All Things
- Southpaw by David Wolman, 2005.
- Lefties: The Origins and Consequences of Being Left-Handed by Jack Fincher, 1977.
- Nurture Versus Nature: Long-term Impact of Forced Right-handedness on Structure of Pericentral Cortex and Basal Ganglia by S. Klöppel, et al., 2010.
- The Master Hand: A Study of the Origin and Meaning of Left and Right Sidedness and Its Relation to Personality and Language by Abram Blau, 1946.
- The Puzzle of Handedness by Rik Smits, 2011.
- Right Hand, Left Hand: The Origins of Asymmetry in Brains, Bodies, Atoms and Cultures by Chris McManus, 2003.
- November 21, 2014 featured an experimental slide show, by Stacey Cann
- October 3, 2014, 10hr performance of Lipstick Kisses by Erik Osberg